Friday, March 4, 2016

Your Voice Matters

By Teague Shosh, BVP Parent

I am learning that my voice as a parent of a public charter school student matters.

My name is Teague Shosh and I am a mother of an Elementary School 2 scholar and an active participant in the Parent Advocacy Fellowship that was launched for parents who send their kids to BVP. Since September, the group of approximately 17 parents has been meeting to learn about the state of education in RI, the legislative process, and effective ways to advocate.

BVP Parents listening to Secretary of State Nellie Gorbea
while visiting the Rhode Island State House
Most recently, I visited the State House for an intimate conversation with Secretary of State Nellie Gorbea, Lieutenant Governor Dan Mckee, and other elected officials. I’ve always known that government is complex--the legislative process is difficult to understand, the State House can feel like an intimidating place to be, and decisions made can sometimes make us feel defeated.

My biggest takeaway from the conversations with state leaders that night is that our work as parent advocates is ongoing and requires persistence. We must continue to show others why protecting high-quality schools like BVP matters to us as parents, to our scholars, and to our state.

I’d like to personally invite all BVP parents to get involved in advocating for our schools. Sometimes it feels like our advocacy efforts are not working, but if you’re feeling that way now, I invite you to reconsider and email me at teaguem1210@yahoo.com to learn more about how to get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment